curry bowls with chicken, roasted vegetables and greens

2:18:00 PM


Sometimes I like trendy things. No shame. I love mason jars, for example - super handy, I take my cold brew coffee in one every single day to work. (Finding out I could make cold brew changed my life. It is SO EASY. Just add ground coffee and cold water to a french press, refrigerate overnight, and in the morning you have perfect coffee. I went for so much of my life without knowing this.) 

So I’m loving this bowl trend. You know the kind, with some type of grain - rice or noodles or quinoa (if you’re a masochist, ahem), farro, bulgur, whatever - some type of protein, vegetables, and a nice dressing to tie it all together. 

Our CSA gave us mustard greens a while ago, and I had no idea what to do with them. For some reason, I was surprised they tasted like mustard. I’m brilliant.  But cooked down with onions and garlic and ginger and a little spice - super delicious. I originally made them this way as a side for lentil dal, and thought it would be super tasty in a bowl. It’s probably my favorite part. Aside from some deliciously marinated chicken pieces (I used thighs, but you can use breasts if you want), I tossed a bunch of our CSA vegetables with coconut oil and curry spices and roasted them, then topped it all off with a refreshing, mayo-and-yogurt based dressing.

I won’t lie, this takes a while and is probably best fit for a day when you have more time to cook. I’m insane so I made it on a weeknight, but there are a lot of components. You can make it easier on yourself by marinating the chicken the day before so it’s ready when you are. Making the dressing a day before is also a nice idea, as it’ll give the flavors some time to meld. 

Curry Bowls with Chicken, Roasted Vegetables and Greens
serves 4



ingredients

for the chicken
1 lb chicken thighs, cubed
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp garam masala
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp canola oil

for the dressing
½ cup plain greek yogurt (I used 2%)
½ cup mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

for the vegetables
about five carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
5 small potatoes, cubed
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp curry powder, divided
1 tsp turmeric
canola or melted coconut oil as needed

for the greens
4 oz mustard greens, torn 
4 oz baby spinach
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 small jalapeño
1 small red onion
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

for serving
1 cup uncooked rice (I used brown basmati rice)
sliced radishes (optional - I just used them to make it prettier and because we had them)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Marinate the chicken: Mix together the marinade ingredients well in a ziplock bag or container. Add the cubed chicken, toss to coat, and let marinate for at least an hour or overnight. 

Make the dressing: Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, and place in fridge until ready to use.

Make the vegetables: Toss the carrots with a bit of oil and the brown sugar and the turmeric. Toss the potatoes with a bit of oil and a teaspoon of curry powder. Toss the broccoli with a bit of oil and a teaspoon of curry powder. Add salt and pepper to taste to all vegetables. Place all the vegetables on a foil-lined baking sheet (I used two) and cook until roasted and browned in spots, about 20 minutes. Check on them frequently - my broccoli cooked fastest, and I removed the vegetables that cooked faster as they roasted.

Cook rice according to package directions.

Cook the chicken: Spray a pan with cooking spray (or oil) and heat pan until very hot. Add the chicken and any remaining marinade, and saute until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 7-10 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.

Make the greens: Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the mustard greens and cook for two minutes. Add the spinach and cook another 30 seconds or so. Drain in a colander.  
Chop your garlic, ginger, jalapeño, and red onion into very small pieces in a food processor. Set the chopped vegetables aside and place the greens in the food processor, puree until pretty smooth. Heat the oil in a pan or pot on the stove until hot, then add the garlic/ginger/jalapeno/onion mixture and saute for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add the greens and cook about five minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Assemble the bowls: Place about ¾ cups of rice in each of 4 bowls. Top with chicken, roasted vegetables, the greens, and then drizzle on the dressing. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images