nut and seed loaf (or "the life-changing loaf of bread")

5:23:00 PM


I saw this bread recipe on My New Roots a few years ago and was instantly intrigued. After all, the creator of the blog described it as "life changing." It took me three years to make it because I never had all the ingredients at once. A few months ago I realized I had most - nuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds... and finally came around to making the bread. I can't promise that this bread will change your life, but it definitely changed my breakfast routine for a few weeks. I've made this bread three times now, and it's worth doing! 

I love the concept: A vegan bread based not on flour or yeast, but nuts, seeds, oats, and psyllium husks. It's gluten free if that's your thing (it's definitely not mine, but you do you) and vegan and, well, healthy as far as breads go.

It's also insanely easy to make. You dump a bunch of stuff into a loaf pan and bake. (I actually mix all my stuff together in a bowl because I feel like everything is incorporated better, but you can mix it in the loaf pan if you want.) 

My favorite way to eat this bread is with nut butter. I know, nuts on nuts on nuts. But one thin slice of this bread, toasted, with a spread of cashew butter or sunflower seed butter and a banana makes a lovely breakfast. And it is FILLING. A tiny slice of toast keeps me full for hours.

This bread is not without limitations. I wouldn't make a sandwich with this bread. For one thing, it's a dense and very chewy bread with strong flavors that tend to overpower more subtle flavors. I did try to make it into avocado toast because I'm trendy (and I love avocado toast with every tiny bit of my soul) but it just didn't work quite right. I've also eaten it with an egg on the weekends when we didn't have any other carb handy to go with an egg, and it's just a little too overpowering for that, too. 

The author of the recipe described eating it with hummus, vegetable pate, and pesto  - I've not tried it with any of these things, but I don't doubt it's tasty.

I have made this bread exactly to the recipe every time I have made it, with the only exception being using various nuts in place of the almonds. I used the same quantity of mixed nuts last time I made it, and I have to say, I sort of prefer the almonds-only: they don't get soft in the bread, they stay nice and crunchy (my cashews got quite soft. Still tasty, just a different texture.)

The only other change I've made is cooking it in a normal metal loaf pan as opposed to a silicone pan, since I don't have one. Cutting a piece of parchment to fit inside the pan works just as well.

If you read the comments on the original post linked above, you can find ingredient substitutions other people have made, because I really can't answer those questions as I've never tried anything but something very close to the original recipe. (Be prepared to get a bit of a headache, though, if you read the entirety of that comments section. There is a difference between being really health-conscious and being so preoccupied with "anti nutrients" and oozing every last bit of nutrition from your food that it seems like you're wasting your damn life. But that's my own opinion.) 



nut and seed loaf from My New Roots
makes 1 loaf

ingredients
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup almonds, hazelnuts, or mixed nuts
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 tsp fine grain sea salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp melted coconut oil or ghee
1 1/2 cups water

Line a metal loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit in the pan with the sides of parchment hanging over the sides (so you'll be able to lift the bread out of the pan easily.) Alternatively, use a flexible silicone pan.

Combine the seeds, nuts, oats, salt, psyllium husk powder in a large bowl and mix well. 

Combine the wet ingredients (maple syrup, coconut oil, and water) and add to the dry.

Mix very well until everything is well-combined and wet. Let sit out at room temp for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours. To test if it's ready, lift the parchment paper and see if the bread sticks together well (or pull at the sides of your silicone pan to check). 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake on a middle rack for 20 minutes.

Carefully remove the bread from the pan and invert the loaf. (Of the three times I've made this, I've only broken the bread once and kind of mashed it back together. Do this carefully.) Place the bread upside down directly on the oven rack, and cook for another 30-40 minutes. 

Let loaf cool completely before slicing. 

Store in the fridge. I've eaten it for up to a week.

Recipe from My New Roots

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images