one-pot sausage and chicken jambalaya

8:41:00 PM

Bob loves Creole food. I’m a little more wary of it, as I’m not huge on heat or tomato sauces, but we both love this jambalaya. It’s so quick and easy and tasty and really all gets cooked in the same pot which is really nice.



I’m a big believer in spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I’m a believer that time spent generally leads to a better outcome. It’s just generally been my experience. Of course, I’ve made stuff I’ve loved that doesn’t take too long, but my best dishes seem to take a while and that’s fine with me.

But sometimes you get bored. Or you’re tired, or cranky (I’m generally all three all the time) and you just really don’t want to spend a ton of time cooking dinner. I’m not saying that this meal will be done in ten minutes, but having everything be cooked in the same pot (therefore cutting down on dishes time) is really nice for cranky days.

I think you’re generally supposed to use long-grain rice for jambalaya, but as you can tell from my photos, I … did not. I used sushi rice. Totally by accident, because I thought the brown bag in our cupboard was filled with rice, but it was actually farro. Which, though I’m sure would be good in here, wasn’t what I was aiming for. Sushi rice was the only rice we had available, and it actually worked out really nicely. I imagine brown rice would work too, but cooking time would be longer unless you get that par-cooked stuff.

I served this with cornbread which was downright brilliant. Such a good combination. I used this recipe which is a pretty basic cornbread and was very tasty -  use your favorite. This was the first time I've ever made cornbread in my life (I know) so I was happy with it. 



One-Pot Sausage and Chicken Jambalaya
serves 6

ingredients
1 lb link sausage of your choice (I used a chicken sausage), sliced on the diagonal
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
4 celery ribs, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 scallions, sliced thinly, divided
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into strips or cubes
2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
2 cups broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
1 tbsp worcestshire sauce
3 dried bay leaves
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp creole seasoning 
1 ¼ cups long-grain rice 
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot (I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven) over medium-high heat, brown the sausage on both sides until slightly crisp. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, and most of the green onions (save some for garnish) and saute for a few minutes until they are beginning to soften. Add the chicken and worcestshire, and continue cooking until chicken is no longer pink on the outside (it will continue to cook.) Add the tomatoes with their juices, the broth, bay leaves, basil, oregano, sage, paprika, and creole seasoning. Stir well, then bring up to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add the rice, stir again, bring to a boil again, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice and chicken are cooked through. 


Serve in bowls and sprinkle with remaining green onions.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images